GAE STEM Challenge
In Partnership with Georgia Farm Bureau: Ag in the Classroom
What is the GAE Stem Challenge?
This STEM Challenge is a special project brought to you by the Georgia Ag Experience, the Georgia Foundation for Agriculture and Georgia Farm Bureau's Ag-in-the-Classroom. The challenge was developed to help expose elementary teachers and students to science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) involved in agricultural production of food and fiber. We aim to help students recognize their role in agriculture by exposing them to real-world problems that they can help solve.
How is the challenge structured? A bi-annual competition focusing on a real-world ag problem. Elementary classrooms (grades 3 - 5) across Georgia put their skills to the test as they compete to win. Each school receives a digital kit of resources and a tailored educational program for their students. The top 3 classrooms with the best solution can win a prize and be recognized for their effort!
2023 CHALLENGE PARTNER
Georgia Farm Bureau: Ag in the Classroom
The purpose of the Georgia Agriculture in the Classroom program is to increase agricultural literacy among children and the general public. It provides tools for more effective teaching about agriculture and its role in an interdependent society, and to assist Georgia ’s educators in implementing the instruction of agriculture-related concepts in the classroom.
This mission is achieved through the activities of county Farm Bureau volunteers in their local communities and through teacher training courses held throughout the state.
Learn more by visiting the website: https://www.gfb.org/ag-in-the-classroom/about
SPRING '23 Announcement Video
Current Challenge Question:
How Can I Create a Worm Farm to Better My Garden?
Spring '23 Challenge Dates:
|February 6 - April 28, 2023|
|April 28, 2023|
* You may register at any time *
*Winners announced LIVE on ZOOM on May 5, 2023 @ 1:00 pm*
How the Challenge Works:
- Register your classroom on this webpage by hitting submit at the bottom of this page
- Receive instant access to the challenge digital resource platform
- Download the Digital Toolkit
- Complete the challenge with your students by creating a video presentation answering the challenge question
- Upload your class video to YouTube (please see YouTube upload instructions below)
- Upload the class presentation to our submission page for judging by April 28th.
- Tune in to the live winner announcement on May 5th. Link will be emailed when you submit your final presentation.
- Each class will be asked to Engage, Explore, Test and Improve, Share Results & Reflect. All steps are outlined in the lesson plan.
- For deeper understanding (and bonus points!) ask an expert.
Create a video presentation discussing the process to create a worm farm which will serve as a basis for investigations about ecosystems, life and nutrient cycles, and decomposition.
- Class submission must be from students in grades 3rd, 4th, or 5th
- 1 challenge submission per class
- Open to Georgia elementary schools only
Final Submissions Must:
- Must include a video presentation (no longer than 5 minutes) showing the process of investigation to create the worm farm.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of how worms play an important factor in our ecosystems, life and nutrient cycles, and decomposition.
- Must incorporate how worms play into the role of farmers or agriculturalists.
- Must include 5 photos showing the students process throughout the challenge
Preview the lesson plan HERE.
YouTube Upload Instructions
Please submit your YouTube video link on the submission form linked here.
- Go to YouTube.com and create a channel
- Find the video camera icon in the top right corner
- Click “Upload Video”
- Click “Select File”
- Select your video you would like to submit for the STEM Challenge
- Please title your video as follows: “Team Class Name – Spring '23 STEM”
- Scroll down to find “Audience” and select “Yes, this is for kids”
- Click “Next”
- On the “Video Elements” page, Click “Next”
- On the “Checks” page, Click “Next”
- On the “Visibility” page, select “Unlisted: Anyone with the video link can view your video”
- Click “Save”
- Copy video link on the “Video Published” page
- Please paste your video link to the ’23 Stem Challenge Submission Form under “video link”
Prize for top 3 winners
* Top Winner in Each Grade*
$250 classroom supply grant + your choice of physical prize
($350 Total Value)
*IMPORTANT: Please access the link above ONLY using the following web browsers: firefox or google chrome.
To support ag education for Georgia students, like this STEM challenge, please consider making a donation to the Georgia Foundation for Agriculture.